The Country Education Partnership nominated its inaugural Patron at its annual meeting in 2008. The Patron of CEP is Mr Baillieu Myer AC.
Baillieu Myer’s passion for the well-being of young people in rural and remote Australia is immediately obvious. Not only does Mr. Myer have a first-hand experience of the reality of learning in extremely remote bush locations, he also has a clear understanding of the need to improve the profile, through national advocacy, of these education communities.
Baillieu Myer studied at both Melbourne and Cambridge Universities.
He has held a number of positions throughout his life including:
- Director of the Myer Emporium
- Deputy Director of Coles Myer
- Trustee of the Sidney Myer Fund
- Director of the Myer Foundation
- Board member of CSIRO
- Emeritus Trustee of the National Gallery of Victoria
- Patron of the Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal.
He was made a Companion of the Order of Australia and was awarded a Doctor of Laws honoris causa by the University of Melbourne.
In 2007, Mr. Myer agreed to be the first patron of the Country Education Partnership.